Mercy Health, an integral part of the Tiffin community since 1913 and one of the largest employers in Seneca County, announced today a merger with Bon Secours Health System, creating one of the largest health systems in the country. Bon Secours Health System and Mercy Health Announce Intent to Merge Serving Communities Across 7 States; 43 Hospitals with more than 1,000 Sites of Care Providing $640 million annually in Community Benefit
Press release provided by Mercy Health & Bon Secours Health System: MARRIOTTSVILLE, Md. and CINCINNATI, Feb. 21, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Bon Secours Health System, a Catholic health ministry serving residents across the East Coast, and Mercy Health, a Catholic health ministry serving Ohio and Kentucky, today announced their intent to merge, creating one of the largest health systems in the country spanning seven states in the eastern half of the U.S.
"As consumers grapple with the implications of Health Care Reform in a dynamic marketplace, Mercy Health and Bon Secours share a vision to improve the health of the communities we serve as the low-cost, high-value provider," said John M. Starcher, Jr., Mercy Health President and CEO. "Working together, our strong faith-based heritage fuels our mutual focus to provide efficient and effective health care for each patient who comes through our doors." "The mission, vision, values and geographic service areas of Bon Secours and Mercy Health are remarkably well-aligned and highly complementary," said Richard J. Statuto, President and CEO of Bon Secours Health System. "This merger strengthens our shared commitment to improve population health, eliminate health disparities, build strength to address social determinants of health, and invest heavily in innovating our approaches to health care." Together, Mercy Health and Bon Secours rank in the top performing quartile of Catholic health systems for low-cost, high-quality patient care, promoting healthier lives and creating more affordable health care for residents across an expanded footprint. The merger creates the fifth largest Catholic health system in the country, allowing the new entity to leverage economies of scale by integrating resources and teams across the ministries. This merger creates future opportunity to deepen our commitment to our existing communities and expand the health ministry into complementary service areas across United States. Further alignment of the ministries offers an opportunity within the United States and outside of its borders to bring healing and hope to those most in need. Stronger Together – Bon Secours and Mercy Health:
- One of the top 20 health systems in the nation and the fifth largest Catholic health system with $8 billion in Net Operating Revenue and $293 million in operating income. This strong operating margin allows us to advance our shared ministry and reinvest in community benefit.
- 57,000 associates and more than 2,100 employed physicians and advanced practice clinicians
- More than 10 million patient encounters across seven states, with 43 hospitals and more than 1,000 care sites
- Robust post-acute care services with more than 50 home health agencies, hospice agencies, and skilled nursing and assisted living facilities
- Almost $2 million per day in community benefit, serving the most vulnerable in our service areas